Tag: dyson died

‘Robust’ policy on ash disposal recommended after fatal fire at luxury hotel

An inquiry into a fire at a luxury hotel which killed two men has recommended that “robust procedures” should be in place to ensure ash from fires is disposed of safely.

Simon Midgley, 32, and his partner Richard Dyson, 38, from London, both died in a blaze at the five-star Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond in December 2017.

The fire started after hot ashes were placed in a concierge cupboard in the main reception area of the property.

The hotel operator Cameron House Resort (Loch Lomond) Ltd has already been fined £500,000 following the incident, with night porter Christopher O’Malley given a community payback order for his role in the fire.

Cameron House Hotel fire inquiry

Simon Midgley, right, and Richard Dyson died in the fire (family handout/PA)

A fatal accident inquiry was held last year to establish if lessons could be learned from the incident.

In a report released on Wednesday, Sheriff Thomas McCartney ruled all operators in Scotland should “have in place up to date and robust procedures, informed by an assessment of risks, to ensure that ash from open fires in hotels is removed and disposed of in a safe manner, thereby avoiding the risk of fires being started by the careless disposal of ash”.

The recommendation was made after the inquiry found the fire had begun in a concierge cupboard of the hotel “as a result of hot embers within ash igniting combustibles within said cupboard”.

In his 122-page determination, Sheriff McCartney also recommended that the Scottish Government should consider introducing a rule for a sprinkler system – or “active fire suppression system” – to be made a requirement when historic buildings are converted into hotels.

The report said that at Cameron House Hotel, there were “a number of defects in systems of working which contributed to

Read the rest

Hotel blaze survivor tells of ‘horrendous’ impact on family

A mother who escaped a hotel fire which claimed two lives said her 10-year-old son still suffers from anxiety and has trouble sleeping five years later.

Hannah Munns was staying at the Cameron House Hotel with her husband and then five-year-old when the fire broke out in December 2017.

They were in a room opposite Simon Midgley, 32, and his partner Richard Dyson, 38, from London, who died when flames tore through the five-star hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond.

A fatal accident inquiry (FAI) was held at Paisley Sheriff Court last year to establish if lessons could be learned from the incident.

In a determination published on Wednesday, Sheriff Thomas McCartney said there were “a number of defects in systems of working which contributed to the accident resulting in the deaths”, and he made a number of recommendations.

Mrs Munns said although she and her family managed to escape, the fire has had a major impact on her son.

She told the BBC: “It has been horrendous. What I am most emotional about is my son.

“He was five and is now 10 and he still doesn’t sleep. He won’t be away from us. He won’t stay away from us.

Cameron House Hotel fire

Simon Midgley, right, and Richard Dyson died in the fire (family handout/PA)

“He won’t do all the things that a normal 10-year-old would do because he has experienced that moment that you realise you are not going to live forever.

“He learnt at five years old that these things can go wrong and, as such, he has got really serious anxiety issues.

“It just breaks my heart that he has learnt so young that these things can go wrong.

“It impacts his life day in, day out.”

The fire started after hot ashes were placed in a concierge

Read the rest

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén