An inquiry into a fire at a luxury hotel which killed two men has recommended that “robust procedures” should be in place to ensure ash from fires is disposed of safely.

Simon Midgley, 32, and his partner Richard Dyson, 38, from London, both died in a blaze at the five-star Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond in December 2017.

The fire started after hot ashes were placed in a concierge cupboard in the main reception area of the property.

The hotel operator Cameron House Resort (Loch Lomond) Ltd has already been fined £500,000 following the incident, with night porter Christopher O’Malley given a community payback order for his role in the fire.

Cameron House Hotel fire inquiry

Simon Midgley, right, and Richard Dyson died in the fire (family handout/PA)

A fatal accident inquiry was held last year to establish if lessons could be learned from the incident.

In a report released on Wednesday, Sheriff Thomas McCartney ruled all operators in Scotland should “have in place up to date and robust procedures, informed by an assessment of risks, to ensure that ash from open fires in hotels is removed and disposed of in a safe manner, thereby avoiding the risk of fires being started by the careless disposal of ash”.

The recommendation was made after the inquiry found the fire had begun in a concierge cupboard of the hotel “as a result of hot embers within ash igniting combustibles within said cupboard”.

In his 122-page determination, Sheriff McCartney also recommended that the Scottish Government should consider introducing a rule for a sprinkler system – or “active fire suppression system” – to be made a requirement when historic buildings are converted into hotels.

The report said that at Cameron House Hotel, there were “a number of defects in systems of working which contributed to

Read the rest